About the Hub

More than a half a century ago, the West Island was just beginning the transformation from sleepy borough to thriving community.

Tucked away in the heart of Beaurepaire Village, The Hub has been a fixture of the landscape since 1948. Local historians credit original owner and entrepreneur Mel Carter for the postwar development of the village shopping area. It was 1948 when he and his associate, Bill Boxell, bought the land and built the store from the ground up, even digging their own well.

The West Island landmark has changed hands through the decades (It was sold to Mr. Monet and then to Mr. Angiers), and was purchased in 1992 by current owner Stanley Rutkauskas. In 2001, Stan purchased the old Perrette’s building and moved the Hub to its present location, just 300ft. to the east at the corner of St. Louis avenue and Beaconsfield Boulevard.

Today, the Hub is a Benjamin Moore Signature store offering the best of home decor and paint that money can buy. Stan takes pride in offering customers the same friendly, personalized service they’ve come to rely on through the years. However, The Hub has undergone some discernible changes of late. The selection of wallpaper books has increased, fabrics have been added as well as Hunter Douglas products. Painting, installation, confection and upholstery services are provided by qualified, reputable trades people referred by the Hub.